If there was any doubt that college football is the craziest, greatest, most heartbreaking sport there is it was all dispelled tonight in Oregon. If you live nder a rock and missed it, the Oregon State Beavers took a 21-0 lead into halftime against USC, and then held on to win 27-21. The game just ended, so here are my immediate thoughts:
1. Mike Riley is a very good coach, and he is a true master of recruiting and developing running backs. Steven Jackson, Yvenson Bernard, and now Jacquizz Rodgers. Despite the venerable USC defense, Rodgers torched the Trojans for 186 yards and two touchdowns. Most of the yards were right up the middle. This was Rodgers’ fourth career college game. I guess the pressure didn’t get to him.
2. This is why college football trigonometry doesn’t work – Oregon State was crushed by Penn State, USC crushed Ohio State, Oregon State beat USC. Therefore, is Penn State the best team in the Big Ten by a wide margin?
3. As happy as people are in Corvallis, I can only imagine that a celebratory beer or two is being consumed right now at Oklahoma, Missouri, Georgia, LSU and the other elite programs. It was going to be hard to displace and undefeated USC from that top spot.
4. Who does Pete Carroll kill first? Because someone is going to die over this one.
5. I didn’t think it would be possible, but it looks as if the Pac-10 could actually be sort of interesting. This development won’t do anything to shut up the league’s harsh critics, though.
6. Ohio State really sucks.
7. There was all sorts of craziness in baseball tonight, too, but I just don’t have thenergy to deal with it after this game.
8. I now have absolutely no idea who is good or bad in college football, and I may not even try to figure it out anymore.