Sports Betting Section
MADDUX'S WINNING PICKS
MADDUX'S LIVE ODDS
1. Oregon Ducks, 9-0 (1) – It took a while for Oregon to get into their game with Washington, but the Ducks eventually throttled the Jake Locker-less Huskies. The offense continues to be the most potent in the country. They have a potentially dangerous game against the Golden Bears. It’s always tough to play at Cal. Last week: Defeated Washington, 53-16. This week: at California, (5-4).
1. Oregon Ducks, 8-0 (1) – The Ducks put away USC and remain atop the rankings. The defense shut out the Trojans in the fourth quarter, and a late interception sealed the deal. The offense keeps clicking along. They’ll try to avoid a letdown against the Huskies this week. Last week: Defeated USC, 53-32. This week: vs. Washington, (5-3).
1. Oregon Ducks, 7-0 (1) – The Ducks throttled UCLA at home. The offense looks unstoppable, but the Pac 10 isn’t known for its defense. The Duck D has been good enough; they don’t have to be great when the offense puts up 60 points. They have an intriguing game at a resurgent USC this week. The Trojans defense is terrible, but the offense is decent. Should be a shootout. Last week: Defeated UCLA, 60-13. This week: at USC (5-2).
1. Ohio State Buckeyes, 6-0 (2) – With Alabama’s loss, Ohio State jumps to the #1 spot. The Buckeyes creamed Indiana. The game wasn’t as close as the score indicates. But the Buckeyes don’t have much time to enjoy their #1 ranking. They have to travel to Madison to take on a physical, talented Badger team. The last time the Buckeyes went on the road they nearly lost at Illinois. Last week: Defeated Indiana, 38-10. This week: at Wisconsin (5-1).
1. Alabama Crimson Tide, 5-0 (1) – The Crimson Tide is clearly the best team in the country. They had a hiccup against Arkansas, but followed that up with a thorough thrashing of a talented Florida squad. The ‘Bama defense played tremendous at the goal line. The offense did what it wanted against a top-notch defense. It’s hard to imagine this team losing, but then again, they should’ve lost to Arkansas. They get Steve Spurrier and South Carolina this week. Last week: Defeated Florida, 31-6. This week: at South Carolina (3-1).
1. Alabama Crimson Tide, 4-0 (1) – Mighty Alabama just about fell to Arkansas. The Tide was down to the Hogs by 13 in the second half, but 2 Ryan Mallett interceptions and Alabama’s cool resolve ended in a 24-20 win. The champs don’t get any time to rest, though. They welcome the Gators to Tuscaloosa for another big game, and then have to travel to South Carolina. Last week: Defeated Arkansas, 24-20. This week: vs. Florida (4-0).
1. Alabama Crimson Tide, 3-0 (1) – Mark Ingram came back in a big way, making the nation’s top team even better. The Tide won a laugher at Duke. But now Nick Saban has to take his team to Fayetteville, Arkansas to play a much tougher opponent. The winner has a leg up in the SEC West. Last year Alabama won easily, 35-7. Last week: Defeated Duke, 62-13. This week: at Arkansas (3-0).
When surveying the scene for college football this weekend, there are always plenty of numbers and trends to consider. Here are some of the highlights:
1. Alabama Crimson Tide, 2-0 (1) – The Tide rolled over Penn State Saturday night. Mark Ingram’s injury hasn’t slowed down a balanced, powerful offensive attack. Trent Richardson ran especially well, totaling 144 rushing yards and averaging 6.5 yards per carry. Alabama should have no trouble with Duke, but the schedule gets tougher with a trip to Arkansas followed by a visit from Florida. Last week: Defeated Penn State, 24-3. This week: at Duke (1-1).