1. The Florida Gators have been voted as the most overwhelming preseason number one in college football history. I don’t see it. I could see the team going undefeated and adding a third title in four years, but I could just as easily see them lose a couple of games. They aren’t dominant enough to justify this kind of attention.
2. Lou Holtz has officially lost it. I mean, the guy is clearly totally and utterly insane. His national championship prediction? Florida versus Notre Dame. I understand that the guy has loyalties and all, but Holtz is an idiot if he thinks anyone will take him seriously with a prediction like that.
3. New Jersey won the Womens Professional Soccer, or WPS, championship today. Am I the only one who had absolutely no idea that this league exists?
4. The UFC announced yesterday that Brock Lesnar’s next opponent will be Shane Carwin. That’s a pathetic joke. Carwin is only slightly more qualified to get a title shot than I am. It’s a sign of the stupidity of the heavyweight situation that neither Lesnar nor Emelianenko are in a place where they have a legitimate opponent to face yet they can’t face each other. This is only going to get more ridiculous as time goes on as well.
5. I keep reading these articles saying that Brett Favre was disappointing in his debut – that he didn’t live up to the hype. How stupid. What in the world did people expect from a guy who is almost 40, who has only thrown to high schoolers recently, who is coming off surgery, and who has to learn to work with a new offense in just a couple of days? Anyone who expected any more from him that what we saw is a total idiot.
6. Yesterday Hideki Matsui had seven RBIs as the Yankees crushed the Red Sox in a crazy blowout. Today Kevin Youkilis had six RBIs as the Red Sox returned the favor. At least these teams don’t play boring series.