We have finally come to the end of the line – this is the last time I will write about the Super Bowl before it happens. I’m going to go with a UFC 94 preview tomorrow instead. I’m looking forward to the game as much as anyone, but I just wish it would get here. I have dissected this game a million different ways and I am frankly a little sick of it. I have my opinions, you have your opinion, and everyone else has their opinion, and there is probably not much that any of us can say to change that. Instead of trying to change your thinking, I thought I would look at five things that I am looking forward to about the game:
1. Arizona’s offense – I love nothing more than an efficient offense working well. I’m not convinced that that is what we are going to see on Sunday, but there is a chance, and I can’t wait to find out if it happens. Larry Fitzgerald has been very fun to watch in the playoffs, and I look forward to doing it again.
2. Troy Polamalu – I think that Polamalu s a little bit overrated (much like most high profile defensive players are), but I still love watching the guy play. He has no fear and no regard for his body. He does crazy things in week 6, so I can’t wait to see what he will do in the Super Bowl.
3. Ben Roethlisberger – I like Roethlisberger fine, but I am not his biggest fan. I think he is pulled up by his team, and he would be far from my first pick if I were building a team. My suspicious is that he isn’t going to have a great game, but I am anxious to see if I am proven wrong.
4. The opening drive – It’s so hard to know exactly what this game is going to look like. The opening drive will obviously be far from conclusive, but it will give us a first glimpse at what could happen. It can’t come soon enough.
5. The Boss – I can’t believe that Springsteen has sold out like this. He long said that he would never do the Super Bowl, but he has an album to sell, so here he is. It’s a sad sign of the times. I’m very curious to see just how much of his soul he has put a price on – I expect him to wear a Coke shirt and a McDonald’s cap.