MADDUX'S WINNING PICKS
MADDUX'S LIVE ODDS
2006 NFL Draft QB Rankings
Top QB Prospects for the 2006 NFL Draft
1) Matt Leinart USC
• Makes outstanding and effective decisions even when
under pressure from defenders.
• Better than average arm strength
• Good size and height for the quarterback position
• Very accurate passer
• Of the leader mentality, a natural born winner, won’t settle for anything but a win
• Gets rid of the ball quickly due to short, crisp throwing motion
• High release point on his throws, passes rarely get batted down, plus wide receivers love the high release point.
• Already did well in an NFL style offense in USC system
• Lacks foot speed to break away from defenders
• His stats and numbers could be inflated due to one of the best offensive lines and group of running backs at his disposal at USC
Should be the #1 quarterback taken in the draft by either the number 2 pick (if another team strikes a deal with the Saints) or by the Titans at number 3.
2) Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
• Big, strong, and athletic, good arm strength, can bench
press 400 pounds
• Great improvisational skills to get out of trouble with accuracy on the run
• Iron man, only missed one game in College playing behind an under average offensive line at Vanderbilt
• Shows great poise in pressure and late game situations
• Great pocket presence
• Great field vision
• Often forces balls into coverage, can’t do that
in the NFL
• Only 11-34 as a starter, although not much talent at Vanderbilt
• Slow release
Look for Cutler to either go to Arizona at number 10 or Oakland at number 7 if the Raiders decide to make a dumb move and draft offensive talent when they desperately need defensive players, if they pass on Vince Young.
3) Vince Young Texas
• Quick and accurate release point
• Sees the field very well
• Tremendous scrambling ability, very elusive, able to make the first and second guy miss
• Proven Winner
• Steps up when game is on the line
• Side arm delivery
• Texas shotgun style offense not run by any NFL team gave him ability to make quick decisions
• Doesn’t protect football
Will most likely be the second quarterback taken at number 7 by the Raiders unless someone moves up to try and get him.
4) Brodie Croyle Alabama
• Makes great accurate throws, already NFL caliber type
• True pocket passer
• Quick release and fast throwing motion limits turnovers
• Tremendous arm strength
• Size is a little below average
• Is brittle, injured in 2003 and 2004 at Alabama
• Release point is low
• Slow player, lacks agility to make lineman miss
Brodie will probably go in the second round. Baltimore at #44 is a possibility and if they pass Minnesota who selects 4 picks later could be Mr. Croyle's future home.
5) Omar Jacobs Bowling Green
• Great size and arm strength
• Good speed and foot work
• Gets set quickly and has great pocket presence
• Very accurate and leads his receivers well
• Mechanics could use work
• Field vision and ability to read defenses not as good as the top 4 QB's
• Like Vince Young comes from shotgun style offense, will take time to learn NFL style
Omar could probably go as high as a late second round pick all the way to a 4th round selection. Possible teams looking for a second tier quarterback would be Dallas, Baltimore, Minnesota, Arizona, and Philadelphia.
NFL Betting Information
Here is some more great NFL Betting Information in addtion to the football betting pages listed at the top right of the page we offer to surfers at Maddux Sports. Click on any of the football links to help increase your knowledge and winning percentage this season.